Learn to Watch for Signs of Elder Abuse
Stay Alert: Protect Yourself and Loved Ones
Elder abuse comes in many forms from many corners. Seniors are vulnerable to financial elder abuse, abandonment, physical abuse, nursing home abuse, sexual abuse, and emotional/psychological abuse. Our San Francisco and California elder abuse attorneys at Evans Law Firm, Inc. fight for senior victims every day in California courts and want to share some warning signs of elder abuse with you. If you or someone you know is the victim of elder abuse in San Francisco or elsewhere in California, help them today by calling the California elder abuse lawyers at Evans Law Firm: 415-441-8669.
Given the different forms of elder abuse no single list of warning signs is ever complete. You know your elderly loved one best. Staying active in his or her life standing alone can do much to protect them. Nevertheless, here are a few signs to watch out for:
- Signs of financial elder abuse include missing money or other property, missing checks or credit cards, the entrance of a new insurance agent or advisor in a senior’s life, a caregiver’s sudden interest in the patient’s financial affairs, or suspicious activity in a bank or brokerage account.
- Signs of physical abuse or neglect include bed sores, bruises, dehydration, weight loss, delay in receiving medical care, a history of ER trips for the same injury, and unreasonable explanations for injury and withdrawal from family and friend.
- Signs of sexual abuse often mimic physical abuse. Withdrawal and tension and nervousness around caregivers can also be signs of sexual abuse.
- Psychological or emotional abuse may manifest in depression, withdrawal, strained relationships and repeated arguments with caregivers.
- Abuse and/or neglect in a nursing home may result in bed sores, bruises, signs of restraint, prolonged silence or unusual sedation resulting from overmedication, and lack of cleanliness of person, bed linens, and clothes.
- Signs of abandonment include the elderly person looking especially frail, dehydrated or lacking good hygiene. The senior may appear depressed, lonely, frightened, and confused.
Recognize the warning signs of abuse and address any suspicions immediately. Alert the police and Adult Protective Services of any suspected abuse and reach out to counsel such as the elder abuse lawyers at Evans Law Firm. Our lawyers will pursue all remedies for victims which include restitution (getting your money back), rescission (undoing wrongful and fraudulent contracts), extra damages (known as punitive damages), and award of attorneys’ fees and costs incurred in bringing wrongdoers to court by a civil complaint.
If you or a loved one been the victim of any form of elder abuse in San Francisco, or elsewhere in California, contact elder abuse attorney Ingrid M. Evans and the other Evans Law Firm California elder abuse attorneys at (415) 441-8669, or by email at <a href=”mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org”>email@example.com</a>. Our attorneys have experience with all types of elder abuse, including physical and financial elder abuse, investment and securities fraud and annuity fraud. We can help guide your case through a jury trial, or toward an equitable settlement. We handle cases involving physical and financial elder abuse, qui tam and whistleblower law, nursing home abuse, whole life insurance and universal life insurance, and indexed, variable, and fixed annuities.
 Sadly, some seniors can be victims of more than one type of abuse from the same actor, such as a caregiver.