San Jose and Santa Clara County
Protect Your Loved Ones with Santa Clara County Elder Abuse Lawyers
No one expects to fall victim to abuse. Despite the alarming statistics on the prevalence of elder abuse (according to the World Health Organization, one in six seniors experience abuse each year), facing abuse understandably comes as a terrible shock to all who experience physical, psychological or financial harm. At Evans Law Firm, Inc., we are passionate about representing victims of elder abuse in Santa Clara, CA. Our Santa Clara County elder abuse lawyers bring decades of experience to fighting for seniors and their families, and we have successfully handled cases involving abuse at nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and other facilities throughout Northern California. We handle situations involving abusive in-home care providers, financial and investment fraud scams, and other cases of elder abuse as well, and we bring the same compassionate, personalized and experience-based approach to every case we handle.
Senior Citizens in San Jose and Santa Clara County
San Jose is considered to be the center of Silicon Valley. The city of San Jose is the largest city in Northern California and is behind only Los Angeles and San Diego as the third most populous city in all of California.
The most recent census data revealed 6.1 percent of the more than 930,200 households in San Jose was a household with someone 65 and older living independently. These seniors can face challenges living in Santa Clara County, which is the one of the most affluent counties in the entire country. To cope with the high cost of living and prepare for a comfortable retirement, it is vital that seniors take steps to protect assets — including avoiding dishonest financial advisors.
Unfortunately, some seniors have their trust breached by advisors, caregivers, companies marketing annuities and other retirement products, and others who engage in dishonest behavior. Seniors may fall victim to various types of financial abuse (including securities and insurance fraud), as they are often considered vulnerable targets. Physical abuse is also a terrible possibility for seniors who are often unable to defend themselves effectively against those who would do them harm.
A Santa Clara County elder abuse attorney is there for seniors who need help. Evans Law Firm has strong experience fighting against perpetrators of physical and financial abuse. Clients in San Jose and throughout Santa Clara County trust our firm because we understand how to make the law work to protect seniors, and because we have helped seniors to successfully make claims against major nursing homes, as well as against powerful financial advisors and large insurers providing annuities and other products marketed towards seniors.
Experienced Santa Clara County Elder Abuse Lawyers Handling All Cases of Elder Fraud and Abuse
Our practice involves representing seniors and families in cases involving all forms of elder fraud and abuse throughout California. This includes cases in Santa Clara involving:
- Physical Abuse – Physical abuse involves causing harm through contact. This can mean physically striking with a hand or object, pushing or shoving, burning, using physical restraints, or administering improper medications.
- Sexual Abuse – Sexual abuse can involve sexual contact, sexual intercourse, coerced nudity, exposure to nudity or sexual conduct, and other forms of unwanted sexual interaction or exposure.
- Neglect or Abandonment – Neglect and abandonment can lead to pressure ulcers/bed sores, malnutrition, dehydration, poor hygiene, anxiety and depression, social withdrawal, and inadequate access to medical care.
- Psychological or Emotional Abuse – Forms of psychological and emotional abuse include verbal berating, denying access to family or basic needs, social isolation, threats, intimidation, humiliation, and causing distress by other verbal or nonverbal means.
- Financial Abuse – Financial abuse can involve caregivers and others stealing cash or credit cards, forging checks or convincing seniors to sign checks, influencing seniors to modify their estate plans, and using other means to gain access to seniors’ financial assets or accounts.
- Financial Fraud – Outside of the senior care setting, financial fraud can involve investment fraud scams, mortgage and loan scams, insurance fraud, and various other forms of fraud.
If you have any concerns, you owe it to yourself and your loved ones to speak with an elder abuse attorney. We offer free, no-obligation consultations, so it costs you nothing to learn about your legal rights. When you contact us, we will arrange for you to meet with one of our Santa Clara County elder abuse lawyers as soon as possible, and you will be able to discuss your situation with your attorney in a confidential, one-on-one environment.
Your Legal Right After Physical or Financial Abuse
The District Attorney for the County of Santa Clara makes resources available to provide some assistance to seniors and their families who are affected by abusive behavior. The DA explains how to access Adult Protective Services, which is the agency that helps seniors when abuse happens outside of an institutional facility.
If abuse occurs in a long-term care home or any licensed facility that provides residential care for seniors, there are specific guidelines aimed to help ensure that abuse does not go unnoticed.
Many of the resources aimed at helping senior abuse victims are provided by the Elder Abuse Task Force of Santa Clara County, which was formed in 1981 for the purposes of “education, advocacy, and prevention of elder abuse.”
While these resources can be helpful in prompting an investigation of abuse and, in some cases, leading to criminal prosecutions, seniors and their families should also ensure they talk with Santa Clara County elder abuse lawyers who provides representation in civil claim. It is a civil claim that allows an abuse victim to recover monetary compensation from damages caused by physical or financial maltreatment.
Let Evans Law Firm, Inc. Help You Take Action
Attorney Ingrid Evans and the team at Evans Law Firm, Inc. is prepared to provide help to families who face all different kinds of abuse–both in and out of a nursing home. Our firm has a long track record of fighting for vulnerable older residents of Santa Clara County and we are trusted throughout San Jose because of our dedicated advocacy and strong legal knowledge in the field of elder abuse and financial, securities and insurance fraud. Call us at 415-441-8669 or contact us via email to find out how our firm can represent you.