Financial Elder Abuse
California Financial Elder Abuse Attorney
Senior citizens are vulnerable to financial exploitation on many different levels. Elders can be victimized by their caregivers, family members, fiduciaries or friends. Victims of financial exploitation should seek help from an experienced California financial elder abuse attorney. Learning about your rights is one of the most important steps you can take to protect yourself or a loved one.
At The Evans Law Firm, we are here to provide guidance and support. Our attorneys have represented people throughout California in financial elder abuse cases, physical elder abuse cases, insurance fraud, annuities fraud and more.
The Elderly are Prime Targets for Fraud
The elderly are not always treated with the respect they deserve. Often they are the targets of schemes and fraud that take advantage of them financially. The California elder abuse lawyers at Evans Law Firm, Inc. can help elderly fraud victims. Financial elder abuse can happen by tricking a person into purchasing a product, convincing someone that they have won a grand prize, or posing as a caretaker in order to gain access to valuables.
The victimization of the elderly in connection with consumer fraud is partly reliant on the fact that many senior citizens grew up in a world where a man’s word or a handshake was as solid as a written contract. Unfortunately, that is not the world we live in today.
Becoming a Victim is Easy
It is difficult to recognize fraud when it is happening. In the aftermath—when your savings is gone, or that big check you were promised bounced—you need a California financial elder abuse attorney to fight on your behalf to recover your losses.
Below are several examples of fraud that targets seniors, and may be difficult to recognize. The California elder abuse lawyers at Evans Law Firm, Inc. can help seniors who fall victim to these and other types of fraud.
- Health Insurance Fraud:If you are over the age of 65 and a legal resident in the U.S. you qualify for Medicare. That makes it easy for scammers to find you and ask for valuable bank information.
- Funeral Costs:Most people do not know the average cost of a funeral because it is not something they frequently deal with. Unprofessional funeral home directors may insist that you purchase an elaborate casket for a cremation. In some cases, a person will take advantage of a vulnerable widow or widower and claim that the deceased owes them an outstanding debt.
- Posing as a Loved One:Particularly despicable because it plays off of grandparents’ desire to help their grandchildren, a phone call from your grandchildren claiming they need money ASAP can be a scam. Scammers will call and state, “Hi Grandma, do you know who this is?” When Grandma responds with a name, the scammer can then begin a conversation about how they need money for a recent unfortunate situation. Willing to help, Grandma will send money to help her grandchild, and often makes a promise to not tell anyone.
- Grand Prize Winnings:If it is too good to be true, it is probably not real … or a scam. This motto is especially accurate when someone sends a letter or email claiming that you have won a large sum of money and they need your banking information to transfer the funds into your account.
- Unprofessional Caregivers:Caregivers can pose as the ideal helper in order to gain access to valuable information, like a checkbook, jewelry, car keys or cash.
- Selling Products:All a criminal needs is a phone number to call and convince you that you need to purchase a product. Often they will claim that the cable company or homeowners’ association is requiring the product in order to meet a certain guideline or continue service.
Commitment to Your Case
Ingrid Evans and the attorneys we work with are assisted by a team of talented and experienced support staff. Personal attention, commitment and advocacy are top priorities at our firm. We are very selective in the cases that we handle, which allows us to devote the necessary time and resources to every client.
Experienced Lawyers Providing Quality Legal Services
Each San Francisco financial elder abuse attorney at our firm can handle a wide range of cases, including:
- Elder financial exploitation in Los Angeles
- Elder financial exploitation in Oakland
- Long-term care insurance fraud
- Caregiver fraud
- Power of attorney fraud
Working With the Team at The Evans Law Firm
Most people do not work with a lawyer on a regular basis. Choosing the right lawyer to handle your legal situation will be important to you, and we recognize this. At our initial consultation, we will provide straightforward legal advice and take time to learn about your goals for your situation. You will meet directly with an experienced attorney and have a direct line of access to your financial elder abuse lawyer at all times. Compassion and dedication are hallmarks of our firm.
Also Serving the Bay Area, San Jose and Oakland — San Francisco Elder Abuse Law Firm
To schedule a free, no-obligation consultation, call us at 415-441-8669. We can also be reached online via e-mail. Our firm handles legal matters on a contingent fee basis and also on an hourly fee basis. Located in San Francisco, we accept cases throughout the Bay Area, including Alameda County and Marin County, and Southern California. Also, one of the experienced members of our office staff (non-lawyer) speaks Spanish, hablamos Español.