Prepare For Your Holiday Visits With Seniors
We at Evans Law Firm wish you the best over the holiday season! Many of us visit elderly loved ones over the holidays. It may be a once a year trip to see parents or other elderly loved ones who live far away. This is an important opportunity for fellowship and an important time to check in on a senior’s life. Isolation is a great danger for seniors and leaves them vulnerable to financial elder abuse. The Santa Clara County and California elder abuse attorneys at Evans Law Firm, Inc. represent seniors who have been the victims of financial or physical elder abuse at the hands of caregivers, unscrupulous family members, financial advisors, insurance agents, nursing homes, and con artists. If you suspect your loved one is the victim of any form of elder abuse in Santa Clara County or elsewhere in California, call the Evans Law Firm today at (415)441-8669, and we can help.
As you get ready for holiday visits with seniors, make a checklist of things to review. Here are some suggestions:
- Does the senior need help with chores or housekeeping, bathing, dressing, shopping and meal preparation, managing money, transportation or medications?
- Are they isolated? How often do they socialize with others? Are their old friends staying in touch?
- If living with another, are they dependent on that person for care? Is that person an appropriate caregiver? Do you know their background? How long have they known your senior loved one?
- During your visit, keep an eye out for warning signs of self-neglect, or abuse or neglect by others. Does the senior seem unusually quiet or withdrawn? Has anything serious occurred in their life since your last visit?
- If, before you make your trip, you suspect that your loved one needs extra assistance, plan a longer stay so that you can visit local aging service organizations, physicians, and attorneys during regular business hours.
Make the most of your holiday visits by spending some private time with the elder to discuss future planning. Seniors may not be aware of their own decline and may be reluctant or unable to plan for needed care. Anticipating problems may enable seniors to remain safely in their homes. Allow time for them to express anxieties and needs. You can decide together what needs to be done and who can help. If you or someone you know is suffering from elder abuse of any type in Santa Clara County or elsewhere in California, call Ingrid Evans and the elder abuse attorneys at Evans Law Firm Inc. today at 415-441-8669.
The Bottom Line
Elder abuse is dangerous, and it is happening at unimaginable rates. Stay connected to your senior loved one and involved in his or her life. If a holiday visit will be the only opportunity to visit in person for some time, make the most of it. Let the senior share with you what is going on in his or her life. Keep in touch when you return home too. Don’t let your elderly loved one isolate; an isolated senior is particularly vulnerable to abuse and susceptible to manipulation Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
If you or a loved one been the victim of elder abuse in Santa Clara County, or in any California county, contact Ingrid Evans and the Evans Law Firm elder abuse attorneys at (415) 441-8669, or by email at <a href=”mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org”>email@example.com</a>. Our attorneys have experience with complex financial contracts and large insurance companies. We can help guide your case through a jury trial or toward an equitable settlement. We handle cases involving physical and financial elder abuse, qui tam and whistleblower law, nursing home abuse, whole life insurance and universal life insurance, and indexed, variable, and fixed annuities.