Remember Senior Loved Ones and Friends This Holiday Season
Holidays Are Always Important Times To Check In With Seniors
Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year from all of us at Evans Law Firm! We hope you spend as much time as possible this holiday season with family and loved ones and especially any seniors among your family and friends. For our older loved ones, with each passing year the number of their friends decline; some die, some move away. Their own spouse may be gone. Loneliness and grief intensify during the holidays.
You can make a difference. Include seniors in your holiday gatherings; if they can’t get to you, go visit them. Seniors may never express how grateful they are for your attention, but they will be grateful you thought of them. Their time with you may be the highlight of their holidays. Talk to them and find out what’s going on in their life. If you suspect there’s a problem in a senior’s life, do something about it. Call an elder abuse lawyer who may be able help. The elder abuse attorneys at Evans Law Firm represent senior victims of financial or physical abuse or neglect whether in their own homes or in a nursing home or assisted care facility. If you or a loved one has been the victim of any form of elder abuse call us today at (415)441-8669.
Here are some tips on preventing elder abuse that come to mind this holiday season:
- First and foremost, stay involved in your beloved senior’s life. Check in unannounced, keep an eye on their belongings and money, know who’s coming and going, call frequently and always speak directly to your loved one.
- Don’t let someone else keep them from the phone.
- Never ever allow a senior to grant a Power of Attorney to a caregiver.
- If your loved one needs help you cannot provide, do background checks on anyone you hire to help them and stop by as often as you can when caregivers are on the scene.
- Monitor the senior’s bank accounts and credit cards and make sure their valuables are safely stored away.
- Attend any meeting about financial matters you elderly loved one may have with anyone else.
- Encourage old friends and other family members to check in too and encourage your loved one to stay active in social and support groups and their church or synagogue. The more support surrounding a senior, the more protected they are from abusers.
If you or a loved one been the victim of elder abuse in San Francisco or elsewhere in California, contact Ingrid M. Evans and the other elder abuse attorneys at the Evans Law Firm at (415) 441-8669, or by email at <a href=”mailto:email@example.com”>firstname.lastname@example.org</a>. Our attorneys have experience with complex financial contracts, such as annuities and life insurance, and large insurance companies and cases involving Powers of Attorney, trusts, wills, and other legal instruments. We can help guide your case through a FINRA Arbitration, jury trial or toward an equitable settlement. We handle cases involving physical and financial elder abuse, qui tam and whistleblower law, nursing home abuse, whole life insurance and universal life insurance, and indexed, variable, and fixed annuities.