Securities and Exchange Commission Pays Out Millions in Whistleblower Awards
Whistleblower information about securities law violations can result in big rewards for the whistleblower when the whistleblower brings the information to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Since 2011, the SEC has paid out hundreds of millions of dollars in awards. Whistleblowers help authorities detect securities fraud and the government rewards whistleblowers for their efforts. It pays to bring securities fraud to light.
If you have original information of securities fraud, we recommend you call counsel to file an anonymous tip and potentially secure an award of up to 30% of any amount the SEC recovers. The California and San Francisco whistleblower attorneys at Evans Law Firm, Inc. can represent you before the SEC. If you have credible, original information of securities fraud in California call our California SEC whistleblower attorneys today at (415)441-8669 and we can help.
Here are a few tips to get started:
- Is the securities violation you know of serious enough – the legal term is “material” – to get the SEC’s attention? Discuss this question with qualified counsel.
- Are you eligible for an award? Most people are but special rules apply to auditors and others depending on the individual’s relationship to the wrongdoer and how the information was obtained. Our attorneys will review eligibility guidelines with you.
- Act quickly because your information must be “original” to get an award. Original information is any information the SEC does not already have. If you delay in bringing your information to the SEC’s attention you run the risk that someone else will get to the SEC first with the same information.
- Consult counsel on the particular rules regarding tips to the SEC. For example, if you’re in a compliance unit at the offending company you may elect to report the infraction internally. If you do and then report the information to the SEC within 120 days, the SEC will use the earlier date to “hold your place in line” for bringing the tip.
- Gather strong, hard evidence of the material violation and use a whistleblower attorney who knows how to submit your application in the most effective way to grab the SEC’s attention.
The whistleblower attorneys at Evans Law Firm know how best to organize your information and documentation and will guide your application from initial submission through investigation and discovery to trial or settlement.
Our California whistleblower attorneys handle all types of whistleblower cases. If you or someone you love has information regarding a whistleblower/qui tam case in Marin, San Francisco or elsewhere in California involving the Securities and Exchange Commission Whistleblower Program, False Claims Act cases, the Internal Revenue Service Whistleblower Office, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission Whistleblower Office, the FINRA Whistleblower Office or other illegal activity, contact Ingrid M. Evans and the other California whistleblower attorneys at Evans Law Firm at (415) 441-8669, or by email at <a href=”mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org”>email@example.com</a>. Our attorneys also have experience with complex financial contracts and large insurance companies. We can help guide your case through filing a complaint, investigation and discovery through trial or an equitable settlement. We also handle cases involving physical and financial elder abuse, nursing home abuse, whole life insurance and universal life insurance, and indexed, variable, and fixed annuities.