Neglect is a very serious problem in California’s nursing homes, especially because the state has a high population of older residents who need long-term care and assistance. Many Californians cannot live on their own as they grow older, and need the on-site medical care and companionship that a nursing home can provide. But when you count on a nursing home to provide a caring and secure environment, and that nursing home fails to live up to those expectations, you may find yourself in need of a legal guide through the state’s courtrooms to protect yourself or your older loved ones from elder abuse.
At the Evans Law Firm, Inc., our Santa Clara County elder abuse attorneys want to keep you and your family members safe from nursing home abuse, and make sure that when you select a nursing home for your parent or older relative, you are getting the peace of mind that comes with capable, professional care. We also represent clients who have fallen victim to nursing home abuse in any form, including physical abuse. Elder abuse can manifest in many ways, including physical signs such as bed sores and pressure ulcers, and our attorneys recommend that you closely monitor the care your family member is receiving, and keep on the lookout for certain tell-tale signs of potential abuse.
Elder Abuse Lawyers Helping Seniors and Families in Santa Clara, CA
No one expects to fall victim to abuse. Despite the alarming statistics on the prevalence of elder abuse (according to the World Health Organization, one in six seniors experience abuse each year), facing abuse understandably comes as a terrible shock to all who experience physical, psychological or financial harm.
At Evans Law Firm, Inc., we are passionate about representing victims of elder abuse in Santa Clara, CA. Our lawyers bring decades of experience to fighting for seniors and their families, and we have successfully handled cases involving abuse at nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and other facilities throughout Northern California. We handle situations involving abusive in-home care providers, financial and investment fraud scams, and other cases of elder abuse as well, and we bring the same compassionate, personalized and experience-based approach to every case we handle.
Experienced Santa Clara Elder Abuse Lawyers Handling All Cases of Elder Fraud and Abuse
Our practice involves representing seniors and families in cases involving all forms of elder fraud and abuse throughout California. This includes cases in Santa Clara involving:
- Physical Abuse – Physical abuse involves causing harm through contact. This can mean physically striking with a hand or object, pushing or shoving, burning, using physical restraints, or administering improper medications.
- Sexual Abuse – Sexual abuse can involve sexual contact, sexual intercourse, coerced nudity, exposure to nudity or sexual conduct, and other forms of unwanted sexual interaction or exposure.
- Neglect or Abandonment – Neglect and abandonment can lead to pressure ulcers/bed sores, malnutrition, dehydration, poor hygiene, anxiety and depression, social withdrawal, and inadequate access to medical care.
- Psychological or Emotional Abuse – Forms of psychological and emotional abuse include verbal berating, denying access to family or basic needs, social isolation, threats, intimidation, humiliation, and causing distress by other verbal or nonverbal means.
- Financial Abuse – Financial abuse can involve caregivers and others stealing cash or credit cards, forging checks or convincing seniors to sign checks, influencing seniors to modify their estate plans, and using other means to gain access to seniors’ financial assets or accounts.
- Financial Fraud – Outside of the senior care setting, financial fraud can involve investment fraud scams, mortgage and loan scams, insurance fraud, and various other forms of fraud.
If you have any concerns, you owe it to yourself and your loved ones to speak with an elder abuse attorney. We offer free, no-obligation consultations, so it costs you nothing to learn about your legal rights. When you contact us, we will arrange for you to meet with one of our attorneys in Santa Clara as soon as possible, and you will be able to discuss your situation with your attorney in a confidential, one-on-one environment.
Bed sores are a strong indication of abuse, Santa Clara County elder abuse attorneys at the Evans Law Firm, Inc., report. If an older resident has bed sores or pressure sores, this is a good sign that he has been left in the same position for an extended period of time. A good nursing home staff will combat bed sores and pressure ulcers by helping residents get up and out of bed, even if it is just for a short trip to the bathroom or to the home’s common areas. At the very least, even an immobile resident will be moved from his or her bed to have the sheets changed and the bed cleaned.
If an older nursing home resident is suffering from bed sores, the staff is likely neglecting to give him or her proper care. If left untreated, bed sores and pressure ulcers can lead to serious infection, and even death. A lazy or incompetent staff can be lethal in a nursing home, and the onus is on the nursing home staff and supervisors to make sure that neglect does not happen. But when it does, the Santa Clara County elder abuse attorneys at the Evans Law Firm, Inc., are here to help.
Contact a California Elder Abuse Attorney Now
At the Evans Law Firm, Inc., we represent clients who have been abused or neglected as residents in a nursing home, and whose rights as residents have been violated. California law makes it very clear that abuse of an older person in any form is a crime, and can be heavily punished with fines, jail time, and job termination in the field of nursing home care. Contact the Evans Law Firm, Inc., at 415.441.8669 or online at www.evanslaw.com for a consultation today.